I hinted at this project weeks ago and that is exactly how long it has taken me to finish. Starting and stopping a project will get on your last nerve. Trust me.
I always love to see all the great ideas on Transformation Thursday at The Shabby Chic Cottage. I have bookmarked a ton of projects I want to try myself. I always wished I could join all the great posts on there with my own project.
When I saw this broke down tricycle sitting by my neighbor's trash can my first thought was "Here I come Transformation Thursday!!!! Woohoo!!!! Here's my chance to shine!"
Now, I'm just kidding. I really thought it would be a great tricycle for Bean. Really. I did. Well, I eventually got around to that thought.
This is the tricycle after Hubz took it all apart. I forgot to take a picture before he got to it.
It was nasty. I actually had to clean it up before I could work my magic. Can you believe that?
I started off by spray painting the seat, bucket and some little do-dads that do something. I dunno.
Not only did I spray the important parts but I also sprayed everything else, too. I had to make sure I covered all my bases. Later on Hubz came over and dropped this pearl of wisdom on me..."why don't you use smaller strokes instead of one big old blast of paint?" Why didn't you think to tell me this sooner? Men.
I used Krylon paint for plastics. I'm not sure I'm a fan. It did not adhere that well to the seat. I needed to try and spray on a clearcoat but I only had Miniwax for wood. So I'm afraid all the paint on the seat will chip off but we'll see.
This is the frame. It wasn't in too bad of shape. I sprayed the handlebars with some hammered silver spray and the frame with some more Krylon paint.
Now here is where you can definitely tell me from that of a seasoned professional.
That's right. I spray painted myself. I wasn't paying attention to where the thingie was pointing and "bam". Looked like a third degree burn.
The frame was coming along nicely.
Here's a tip for you - never listen to your husband when he tells you that really old masking tape will work just as well as some brand new painter's tape because he doesn't want to have to go back to the store.
That's just not attractive.
So here is the finished product. Bean was thinking of doing some decorating herself with her stickers. I threatened her college fund if she touched it before I took these pictures.
Bean seems to really like it. Pardon the bed head.
I think it turned out okay for my first attempt at spray painting and being part of Transformation Thursday. Hopefully, I'll find some more crap to spray and I can join in again. I mean...stay tuned for my next exciting project!!!